Migration tools are used to deploy metadata from one organization to another. First we can get our local code from a source organization using this tool. And then we have to do the job of deploying the target from local to instance. Deploying a large number of components from source to target is a very easy process. If it comes to maintaining or protecting your company’s sensitive data, in such a situation Salesforce Consultant provides you with innovative free tools to ensure better data security in your organization. One such tool is ANT migration which is available for Salesforce deployment.
The Salesforce Ant Migration Tool is a command-line tool that allows users to use a set of metadata changes from one platform to another by manually creating special packages. The developer creates packages and organizes them into a single folder which is then used using the ANT migration tool.
Before discussing the steps to configure the ANT migration tool, let’s understand what it is and what benefits it brings to the table.
ANT Migration Tool
The ANT migration tool is a command-line utility to retrieve, deploy, or delete metadata from Salesforce Certified Consultants in New York. With the Salesforce ANT Migration Tool, you can migrate metadata between local files and Salesforce org. It helps you migrate metadata information such as object / reports / apex classes / visualizer pages / aura components between different Salesforce environments. After configuration, ANT allows you to quickly move metadata from one Salesforce environment to another.
Key Benefits Of Ant Migration Tool
- Gives good grain for deployment as it enables users to have complete control over the metadata transferred.
- Indicates 360 degree visibility into deployed changes.
- Allows developers to adopt an innovative development approach as ANT can be integrated with source control systems
- With the help of ANT migration it becomes easy to automate and control the deployment process.
- Accelerated testing enables deployment of components and configurations of the environment.
- Ability to schedule deployments to drive changes whenever they want or by integrating Ant with other automation tools.
Follow the Steps to Configure the Ant Migration Tool
Step 1: First of all, we need to install Java JDK. Here is the stage of installation.
- Download JDK from https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html
- Click JDK and pay attention to the installation path during installation. My route was C: \ Program Files \ Java \ jdk1.8.0_45.
- After installation, we can verify the version using the open command prompt and java-version.
Step 2: Now, we need to install Apache Ant. Here is the installation phase.
- Download Apache Ant version 1.6 or later from http://ant.apache.org/bindownload.cgi.
- Now we have to do the process of extracting the zip file to create a new folder and extract a zip file.
Step 3: Now, we will do the process of installing anti migration tool after which the steps of installation are as follows:
- The Spring 19 release zip file is downloaded from here.
- Extract the downloaded zip to a folder where we extracted Apache Ant.
Step 4: After installing both JDK, Apache Ant and ANT migration tools, we need to set environment variables. Perform the following steps:
- Right click on this PC and visit the Properties – Advanced System Settings.
- Click on the Environment Variables box.
- Now add two variables ANT_Home and Java-Home
- Click New Add Variable Names for User and System Variables and Their Related Paths.
- Now you need to ensure that both the path of the system and the path of the anti-Java JDK must be available in the user variable. If it is not available, add both paths.
Steps to Retrieve Information
Step 1: Establish a relationship on org. with few steps, which are as follows:
- Follow the location where you had to check the ant migration tool files.
- Open the Salesforce_ant_50.0 folder and open the sample folder.
- Now open the build file.
- After opening the file, you need to make sure that your IP address is whitelisted in your organization.
- Open the build file and enter your credentials from where we need to retrieve the information and the URL of the Organization..
- Next, we need to open another file.
- Follow the path Salesforce_ant_50.0-> Sample-> Code pkg.
- Now open the package with notepad ++
- Now you can edit the file you want to retrieve
- If you want to get everything, you need to describe the type and name of the information.
If you want to get specific information, then you need the details given below:
- Now, you will open the command prompt, then change the directory where your ANT setup is available or open it directly from the setup location.
- Then write the command as ant retrieveCode and enter.
- Now your class is being retrieved, we can test it with Salesforce_ant_50.0-> Sample-> Code pkg.
Step To Deploy Information
To apply this metadata to the destination organization, we need to change the credentials in the build properties file. We need to replace username / password + token and URL with the correct destination values.
- Now edit the package file you want to deploy.
- Issue the command: Ant DeployCodeOnline. This will actually validate the deployment without deploying to the destination organization, similar to your standard change set validation process. You can check the destination result and the verification result as instructed at the command prompt.
- Now you can check the status of your deployment by logging into Organ and go into setup and search and select deployment status in the quick search box.
- Now you can deploy your code using command ant deployment.
Ant Migration Tool is a free tool and Java / Ant-based command-line utility provided by Salesforce Consultants in New York. It is also known as Force.com migration tool. The tool defines that all interactions occurring within it are managed through the command-line interface (CLI) Salesforce Ant Migration Tool, which allows metadata XML to be retrieved locally, with some commands in the command prompt Deploys different environments by running. In addition, it allows users to deploy a set of metadata changes from one environment to another by creating code packages.
Are you looking for technical and strategic guidance from the best Salesforce implementation partner that can help you realise your business potential? Get in touch with Cloud Analog, the top Salesforce company that can help you step by step on your Salesforce journey.